1. Personal Information
If you are a patient, the personal information we collect about you may include: information about your medical history, test results, family medical history, ethnic background, Medicare, health fund and insurance details, billing/account details, current lifestyle, next of kin, emergency contact and other information that may be relevant to your diagnoses, treatment or healthcare. We may also collect information about your interactions with us, including your responses to patient surveys relating to service improvement. We will only collect information about your health, or other sensitive information about you, if we have your consent to do so or if it is otherwise permitted by law.
Referring clinicians and other healthcare professionals
If you are a referring clinician or other healthcare professional who is involved in treating our patients, the personal information we collect about you may include your name, contact details, professional details (including qualifications) and information regarding your interactions or work with us.
We may also collect personal information about other members of the public, including visitors and families and medical professionals. The types of personal information we may collect about these individuals includes their name, contact details, identification information, and any relationship they may have to a patient.
2. How we collect your personal information
We will collect your personal information directly from you but we may sometimes also collect information from third parties, including family members, interpreters, referring clinicians and other healthcare professionals and service provider organisations. We will only collect health information from a third party if you have consented or where we are otherwise permitted by law to do so, such as in a medical emergency.
3. Use of personal information
We collect and use personal information for the following purposes:
• Providing our healthcare services;
• Performing activities that are reasonably incidental to our ordinary course operations, such as:
- administration functions, including scheduling appointments and billing; and
- education, training, quality assurance and other analytical activities to evaluate and improve our patient management processes, patient outcomes, and broader healthcare and healthcare delivery;
• Dealing with enquiries, complaints and legal proceedings;
• Complying with our legal obligations, including in relation to statutory and public health reporting requirements, such as mandatory reporting of child abuse or the notification of diagnosis of certain communicable diseases;
• Sending marketing and other communications to referring clinicians and other healthcare professionals, such as clinical updates, information about our services, events, and other news relevant to them or their practice; and
• Other purposes with your consent.
4. Sharing your information
We may need to disclose your information for one or more of the purposes described above. For example, depending on the circumstances, we may need to disclose your information to:• Referring clinicians and other healthcare professionals, such as pathologists, radiologists, allied health professionals, pharmacists, in relation to the provision of healthcare services to you;
• Government agencies, where we provide health services to you under a contract with that agency and are required to provide the information under the relevant contract;
• Private hospitals and other private healthcare providers, where we provide health services to you under a contract with that provider and are required to provide the information under the relevant contract;
• Your close relatives, close friends, and personal representatives who are legally responsible for your healthcare decisions (though we will not do this if you tell us not to);
• Your lawyers and insurance companies that have been authorised by you to obtain personal information from us;
• Government authorities where we are required to do so by law or in response to an order issued by a court or tribunal, such as where we are required to produce records in relation to court proceedings;
• Medical defence organisations, insurers, medical experts or lawyers who work for us and help us to deal with enquiries, complaints and legal proceedings;
• External service providers and advisors who help us run our business, including software vendors and service providers who help run our IT systems; and
5. My Health Records
If you have chosen to participate in the My Health Record program operated by the Commonwealth Department of Health, we may access personal information stored in your My Health Record if the access permissions you have set allow this. When requested to do so, we may disclose your personal information by uploading your health information electronically to the My Health Record system.
If you do not want us to access personal information stored in your My Health Record, or to upload health information to it, you may opt out or choose to modify access controls within the My Health Record system.
6. Collecting and protecting personal information
We hold personal information electronically and in hard copy form, both at our own premises and with the assistance of service providers who provide data storage, hosting and cloud computing services. In all cases we implement a range of measures to protect the security of that personal information. Please note that any information that you send to us by electronic means may not be secure in transit unless it is encrypted. We are not responsible for the security of your information before it comes into our possession.
7. How you can access or seek correction of your personal information
You may request access to any personal information we hold about you by contacting our clinic using the contact details set out below.
Please also let us know if your personal details change (for example, your name or contact details), or if you notice errors or discrepancies in information we hold about you. You may do this at your next appointment with us or by contacting our clinic using the contact details set out below.
We may ask you to verify your identity when you make an access or correction request. There may also be circumstances in which we will not be able to comply with your request. In these cases, we will provide reasons for why we can’t comply and will explain what other options may be available to you.
If you visit any of our websites, we may record various technical information such as your IP address, browser type, domain names, access times and referring website addresses. We use this information to run our websites and for analytical purposes.
Our websites may include links to other websites that are run by third parties. We are not responsible for how those third parties may collect, use and share your information. Please carefully review any privacy statements published on the third party websites you visit.
You have the ability to accept or decline cookies. Most web browsers automatically accept cookies, but you can usually modify your browser setting to decline cookies if you prefer. If you choose to decline cookies, you may not be able to fully experience the interactive features of our websites.
9. What you should do if you have any privacy issues and complaints
We may need to verify your identity and ask for further information, in order to investigate and respond to your concern or complaint. We will aim to respond to you within a reasonable time, and generally within 5 business days.
If we are unable to satisfactorily resolve your concern or complaint, you may wish to contact the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner (OAIC). Contact details for the OAIC can be found at the OAIC’s website: https://www.oaic.gov.au.
Our contact details
Suite 1.16A Level 1 Orion Shopping Centre
1 Main Street
Springfield Central QLD 4300
P: 1300 358 706
F: 07 3470 5852
PO Box 4474
Springfield Central QLD 4300
11. Collecting information on Registered website users
As part of registering with us, we collect personal information about you in order for you to take full advantage of our services. To do this it may be necessary for you to provide additional information to us as detailed below.
Registration is completely optional. Registration may include submitting your name, email address, address, telephone numbers, option on receiving updates and promotional material and other information. You may access this information at any time by logging in and going to your account.
We strive to ensure the security, integrity and privacy of personal information submitted to our sites, and we review and update our security measures in light of current technologies. Unfortunately, no data transmission over the Internet can be guaranteed to be totally secure.
However, we will endeavour to take all reasonable steps to protect the personal information you may transmit to us or from our online products and services. Once we do receive your transmission, we will also make our best efforts to ensure its security on our systems.
In addition, our employees and the contractors who provide services related to our information systems are obliged to respect the confidentiality of any personal information held by us. However, we will not be held responsible for events arising from unauthorised access to your personal information.
14. IP Addresses
Our web servers gather your IP address to assist with the diagnosis of problems or support issues with our services. Again, information is gathered in aggregate only and cannot be traced to an individual user.
15. Cookies and Applets
This aggregate, non-personal information is collated and provided to us to assist in analysing the usage of the site. This website uses features to target advertising to people based on Google Analytics and other data. This allows us to display ads that relate to products and services you have viewed on our website as you browse other sites on the Google Display Network. These ads are displayed using a combination of 1st and 3rd party cookies. If you would like to opt-out of customised Google Display Network ads you can using the Ads Preferences Manager (https://www.google.com/settings/ads/onweb/). You can also use the Google Analytics Opt-out Browser Add-on (https://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout/) so you are not tracked into Google Analytics.
- Cookies are used on this website to record user-specific information.
- We do not trade or sell any information that is volunteered or logged.
- We have appropriate security measures in place to protect against the loss, misuse, or alteration of information.
- When we use third parties to provide us with supplementary business services we ensure that they adhere to strict security and privacy standards.
From time to time, we may use collected information for new, unanticipated uses not previously disclosed in this privacy notice. If our information practices change at some time in the future we will post the policy changes to our website.
16. Access to Information
We will endeavour to take all reasonable steps to keep secure any information which we hold about you, and to keep this information accurate and up to date. If, at any time, you discover that information held about you is incorrect, you may contact us to have the information corrected.
In addition, our employees and the contractors who provide services related to our information systems are obliged to respect the confidentiality of any personal information held by us.
17. Links to other sites
We provide links to Web sites outside of our web sites, as well as to third party Web sites. These linked sites are not under our control, and we cannot accept responsibility for the conduct of companies linked to our website. Before disclosing your personal information on any other website, we advise you to examine the terms and conditions of using that Web site and its privacy statement.
18. Problems or questions
For more information about privacy issues in Australia and protecting your privacy, visit the Australian Federal Privacy Commissioner's web site; http://www.privacy.gov.au/.